Laamiga has been operating since 2009 and our work has already produced positive outcomes for many of the individuals involved.
Generally, mentors can help mentees with:
- Getting back into education
- Identifying a career to pursue
- Developing business plans
- Finding sources of finance
- Developing business skills
- Enrolling on vocational courses
- Finding work experience
- Improving computer skills, numeracy, literacy, English
- Preparing for the world of work – CVs, job applications, job searches, registering with agencies, interviewing techniques
‘Laamiga’s first mentee to graduate’
‘I would like to thank Laamiga for the great opportunity given to me. Knowing Laamiga and becoming a mentee has been a wonderful and beneficial experience for me. As a woman from ethnic minority with limited English this charity has helped rebuild my confidence and encouraged me to pursue my studies. With my excellent mentor’s support I managed to complete my course with upper second class degree with honour in health and social care. I sincerely thank my mentor for her time and sacrifice and will use this opportunity to inform all women from ethnic minorities with dreams but don’t know where to start due to the language barrier that Laamiga’s door is widely open to welcome, guide and support them’.